Monday, June 12, 2017

The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed

Over the last two months I listened to the Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed every Thursday.  Originally, I'd intended to keep this up until the end of the year, but I got busy with other projects and reconsidered it.  In any case, I found a few things to write about.

"Evening: The Sun Set/Twilight Time"

During the bridge of "Twilight Time," there's the line "Building castles in the air."  The melody to which this is sung ascends, representing the increasing height of the castles as they're built:


I should mention that I guessed on the key, but whatever key "Twilight Time" is in does have at least two flats.  There's an Eb in the vocal melody and a Bb in the recurring piano phrase.

"The Night: Nights in White Satin"

During the line "Impassioned lovers wrestle as one" in the closing narration, there are tremolos in the strings, apparently to musically represent that "wrestl[ing]."