Monday, June 5, 2017

Carpenters' Ticket to Ride

Last month I listened to the Carpenters' Ticket to Ride and found some things to write about.

"Your Wonderful Parade"

When I listened to the album a few other times, the phrase "of the people, by the people, and for the people" in the spoken introduction sounded familiar to me.  I couldn't place it though, so I eventually just lookt it up.  It's from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address: "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."


"Get Together"

I have four versions of this song (with various titles) in my music collection, and three of the four sing the "hand" in the line "It's in your trembling hand" (or some variation of that) with a melisma.  It's sung to more than one note to musically illustrate the trembling.  The Dave Clark Five don't include this verse in their version ("Everybody Get Together"), but Jefferson Airplane ("Let's Get Together") sing it to the phrase C B A; the Youngbloods to the phrase C# B; and the Carpenters to the phrase Bb A G.  However, the Carpenters go a bit further with this portrayal of trembling: the entirety of the vocal for the verses has a wavering effect (I'm assuming it's done through a Leslie speaker, but I didn't find anything to confirm this).

"Turn Away"

The end of the line "Or are you afraid that I'll bring you down" descends; "bring you down" is sung to the phrase A G F#.  The backing vocals after that line echo "Bring you down," and while one of the vocal parts is just sung to F# notes, the other part descends, like the line in the lead vocal.  It starts on a B, but then goes to an A#.  Because the song is in D major, that A# is an accidental.  Musically, then, the misstep of being brought down is represented not only with a descending melody but also with an accidental.