Friday, June 23, 2017

Roy Orbison's "I Give Up"

Last week I listened to a Roy Orbison album (The Essential Sun Years), and I learned the chords for "I Give Up."  A couple days later, I recorded a version.  Since it's just voice and guitar, it was relatively straight forward.  I recorded the vocal and guitar parts at the same time, so when I later discovered a few extraneous noises in the vocal track, I couldn't really cut them out.  The vocal microphone still pickt up the guitar in the background, so cutting parts out of that track was too noticeable.  Still, I don't think I did too badly.  I followed the original as closely as I could, including the few minor lyrical differences between repetitions of the bridge and final verse.


Here are the chords:

Verses:
E major | B major
B major | E major
E major | B major
A major | B major | E major (E7 to second bridge)

Bridge
|: A major | E major :|
F# major | B major

Coda
E major | A major | E major