Monday, July 20, 2015

Edith Piaf's "Heureuse"

I've been listening to a lot of French music lately.  Yester-day, I listened to a disc of an Edith Piaf compilation album.

I've been trying to get better at my French (listening to French music seems to help), and while I still can't understand everything, I'm getting better at picking out phrases here and there.  In "Heureuse," I found an interesting one:  "Heureuse demain / De tout et de rien" ("Happy tomorrow / With everything and with nothing").

There's the line-ending rhyme between "demain" and "rien," but there's an-other poetic feature here:  alliteration among "demain," "de tout," and "de rien."  Each word/phrase is two syllables starting with "de," but "de tout" and "de rien" are prepositional phrases where "demain" is an adverb.

Alliteration is a pretty common feature in song lyrics, but I found this more interesting just because it's in French.